The stone circle at Avebury is the largest stone circle in Europe and consists of three large stone circles located close to the village of Avebury in Wiltshire, South-West England.
The village of Avebury is the modern name of the ancient name. The early Roman British settlers known as ‘Vultens,’ were probably the early farmers who built the church and the surrounding area.Cave paintings are still found in the area.
The first stone circle was discovered in 1818 near Avebury. It was a grouping of stones, surrounded by grass and about 3 miles from the village. That circle could have been used as a hunting camp.